Saturday, August 30, 2014

August 30, 2014

Before going over to the church, I stopped by Stop n Shop to pick up small brown paper bags, as requested for Pat. She has been going through a variety of largely paper based materials for construction of her hats.

My work today was primarily folding roses out of shiny red foil, and construction of a "Needle in a Haystack" hat. I made a series of long, skinny, isosceles-triangle type pieces of paper. I fixed the narrow ends all together to form a circle, and then the sides of the triangles met up to create a curved form. I had to glue hay down to the paper, to give it the look of being a haystack. It was tricky to get the hay to stick, and I'm going to have to do more work on it tomorrow. So far, I've used three bottle of Elmer's Glue on it. I managed to glue lots of straw to myself in the process.

We also made a run to the local True Value to get spray paint. We realized that they have free popcorn there, and so we like the store a lot more now.

While we worked, Pat explained the construction of her hats, and tips such as making overlap on the primary support band, so it can be torn open and expanded if necessary, to accommodate larger heads; or to use a perpendicular band to the primary band, so that if the hat is heavy, it will not slide into the wearer's eyes. I'm interested to see how we install the hats into the gallery. I will be assisting with that on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment