Thursday, August 14, 2014

August 12, 2014

Today I began my internship with Pat Oleszko. I am to complete 150 hours assisting her with her work while in residency at the Women's Studio Workshop in Rosendale.

I arrived at the WSW fairly early because I was not certain how long it would take to drive over. I waited in the office, until one of the staff members (also named Rachel) told me that Pat was probably over at this church space. She printed out directions for me, and so I drove over. Or I tried to. I ended up driving past the church, so I had to turn around and try again. Finally, I pulled into the church driveway, just to realize that Rachel had called to say that Pat was at the office, and to come back. So, I drove back to the office, but by then Pat had left for the barn. Rachel then had to walk me over to the barn, where I, at last, encountered Pat.

She had just arrived the previous day, so she did not yet have a very clear sense of direction for the project. We moved some things into the church so she could begin to set up her studio in there. Then we met Elizabeth, who is living next door to the church and kindly volunteered her time to show us around the area. She took us on a driving tour of Rosendale, Stoneridge, and Kingston, pointing out many interesting local sites, most of which I was unfamiliar with. I took careful notes for reference. However, I was pleased to contribute one place that Elizabeth was not familiar with--P&T Surplus. Both her and Pat very much liked it, and Pat was able to get some cardboard boxes. We stopped in a few other places, including a grocery store (Adam's), a couple of fabric stores, and a thrift shop. Pat purchased food for herself, clothing, and a few other random items.

Eventually, Elizabeth said her goodbyes, and then I ran a few more errands with Pat. Then she dismissed me for the day, but gave me some things to research, namely the history of the cement industry in Rosendale. This I did once I got home. The topic is proving to be fairly interesting. I had no idea that cement production was such an important thing, and that it was so critical to the area.

ROSENDALE-LOGO3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment