Monday, September 22, 2014

September 20, 2014: The Gala!

I went to Rosedale to pick up Pat and all of the hats at 2:30, but my preparation began far before then. I wanted to look my best, so I showered, did my makeup, and dressed earlier in the day. When I arrived, Pat was waiting for me as scheduled in the church. We loaded our costumes into the car, and then went to the WSW to raid the hats from the gallery. Pat changed into her costume, and then we were off.

A few people asked me about how we
transported the hats, and if I documented
it, so here it is!
We only had minor difficulties finding our way there. The main problem was trying to navigate to the pavilion; fortunately, we met a friendly worker who let us follow the supply truck there. Then, I got to keep my car up there, so I had priority parking!

We unloaded the hats onto a table so that they could be displayed before (and after) people wore them. Pat put on her makeup, and then we had a bit of free time until we had to don our costumes in full, so we walked around and looked at the Mohonk House and the lake.

Hats displayed on the table
The artist contemplates nature
Once we returned from our stroll, Pat and I added the final touches to our costumes: our hats and paper adornments. Guests started arriving by 4:45, and at 5, Pat made the declaration that everyone must put their hats on. This changed the energy of the space greatly. Much of the seriousness of the event was replaced by an excited and humorous energy. It was very interesting for me to see everyone in their hats, because they transformed from stagnant objects into the clothing of the wearer. Furthermore, the way the hats were activated by the personality and form of the wearer was very interesting. Everybody's hat seemed to fit with them very well. They also made it easy to pick people out of the crowd. Those who did not wear hats seemed to really appreciate them. A few were sold during the auction part of the event. Pat kindly offered that the hat models were to be included with the hats, but not all of the models appreciated this.


 Pat and I received many compliments on our costumes. I was told that I wore mine well, and somebody wanted to buy it during the auction. It was difficult to maneuver through the crowd and to eat while wearing the costume, but I wore it for the duration of the event regardless. 

At the conclusion, I helped load up the hats again, but this time we fit them into Anne's van, and they drove Pat back to WSW so I could proceed directly home. Overall, it seemed like a successful event, and the hats and costumes were much appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment